In our relationships, communication is the key for any human interaction and people can be difficult to deal with, especially the ones we just met. These Tips will help you on how to deal with difficult people.
Ever encountered someone who frustrates you so much that you feel like you want to pull your hair, jump around the room and just scream out loud? You’re not alone.
Over the years, I’ve encountered my fair share of difficult people. People who don’t turn their work in as promised, people who don’t show up for meetings, people who stick vehemently to their views and refuse to collaborate, people who who are generally difficult to deal with.
1.SEPARATE THE PERSON FROM THE BEHAVIOUR.
Labelling a person as difficult or bad doesn't help, when you find someone difficult, you may think that you do not like the person, but actually it's their behaviour that you like.
Separating the person from their behaviour will allow you to identify your own limits and determine what aspect of a person's behaviour troubles you.
Once you learn to identify specific behaviour that troubles you, you can be kind to the person while still devising strategies to deal with their behaviour.
2. WIDEN YOUR PERSPECTIVE
When you have a hard time trying to understand why a person behaves the way he does that displeases you, take a moment to step back and inquire.
Turning a difficult moment into a learning experience can help you make changes in the way you respond, ask questions and act around difficult people, sime of these small changes can help them via in the positive direction.
It may even present an opportunity for the difficult person to change their perspective by noticing how all around him behave and act.
3. DON'T REACT, ACT.
When you get upset, the natural tendency is to react without thinking straight. While not intentional, your reaction may give more power to the difficult person by acknowledging that they bother you. It causes fixation on a particular problem different from the one you are trying to solve together.
A well thought out action on the other hand may diffuse the tension by shifting the focus from their difficult behaviour to the need to find a solution together.
When dealing with difficult co-workers, show a collaborative mindset by discussing the outcomes that both parties desire, establishing boundaries on acceptable behaviour and actively listening to the other person.
4. TAKE THE HARD ROAD.
Despite all your effort to keep the drama in check, things may not work out some people are indeed very difficult to manage. Instead of being dissappointed and reverting back to your default mode, involve the right people for guidance and seeking ideas.
Some other strategies that may work and it's worth trying- give candid advice to the difficult person yourself, or have their manager deliver the message, or more still involve a third party who can serve as a mediator by adopting a more neutral tone.
You may like some of these Resume templates with matching cover letter.
You may like these posts;
- 10 simple ways to improve your Personality
- 10 Tools and Resources for Online Business Managers.
- 100+ Executive Business and Career templates in Microsoft WORD and Mac PAGES format.These templates will help you craft the best professional resume that you need for your dream job and Business.
- 100+ WORD files for your career and Business.This file is fully and easily editable in Microsoft WORD and Mac PAGES ONLY and can be saved in PDF format.
- 11 ways to become a more attractive lady.Put work into improving your physical fitness, it will make you feel good about yourself.
- 12 Business Ideas with Zero CostAre you looking for Business you can invest in, or simply start that will require no start up capital? Then you are in the right place.
- 12 ways to boost your CREATIVITY.Learning about new ideas allows us to question our old motives and way of doing things,which in turn helps us to find a new way to make it viable.
- 15 ways to make money while you sleepInvest in an already existing and successful businesses like Apple, Amazon, Uber etc. Buy shares and stock from these companies and grow with them.
- 17 Resume/CV templates that will get you LandedResume is your career DNA. You have got to write, …
- 17 Self steps to self- care.Self care should be our priority because you are all …